Chances are that if you run a business, you’ve heard of the General Data Protection Regulation by now. What does it mean for your business and how can you become compliant by 25th May 2018?
What is GDPR?
GDPR applies to all those who control and process personal data. Personal data is any information you hold about a person that makes them directly or indirectly identifiable.
There are specific legal obligations for controllers and processors of data with penalties applied to those in breach. GDPR applies to all businesses who operate within the EU and also to businesses offering services to those who are in the EU.
Individual Rights Under GDPR
Under the new guidelines, every individual has rights which are:
- The right to be informed
- The right of access
- The right to rectification
- The right to erasure
- The right to restrict processing
- The right to data portability
- The right to object
- Rights in relation to automated decision making and profiling
What Do I Need To Do?
An important thing to remember about GDPR is that it isn’t one size fits all. Your tasks for GDPR compliance will be dependent on the type of business you run and the data that you collect.
- Make sure that all of your staff (and anyone you outsource work to such as a VA) is aware of the basics of GDPR
- Restrict access to data. Only allow staff access to the data they need to their job.
- Keep accurate records of the data you hold
- Consider appointing a Data Protection Officer
- Check your procedures for collecting, storing and accessing data
For more information, self-assessment tools and other support to aid in becoming compliant, we’d recommend the resources from the Information Commissioner’s Office here.
What Can Neos Technology Do To Help?
Neos Technology can help with data security in a number of ways:
- Ensure that mobile devices are encrypted
- Secure your internet connections
- Assist with the installation of SSL certificates for websites
- Set up two factor authentication for many web mail clients, Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive etc.
- Apply access restrictions to shared data
Contact us for no obligation chat about how we can help your business to become GDPR compliant.
We also offer a hardware health check which will generate a written report with recommendations.
Get in touch with us here!